Chemical Market Applications
Formic acid and its salt form (formate) are used in a very wide variety of applications including:
- Animal Feed Preservative and Nutrient Supplement
- Leather and Rubber Production
- Textile Dyeing and Finishing
- Cleaning, Scouring, and Disinfectant Products
- Drilling and Completion Fluids
- Fertilizers for Agriculture
- Corrosion-free De-icing
- Hydrogen Donation for Biomass Reduction
Its wide usage reflects its unique versatility as the smallest, most energy and gravimetrically dense, donor of oxygen.
A Liquid Hydrogen Carrier
In addition to its use as a platform chemical, formic acid is also a vector to store green energy in a stable energy-dense liquid hydrogen carrier form. “Green” molecular, or di-atomic, hydrogen is made renewably from water and green electricity but is very costly to store, move and dispense due to its low volumetric density and highly flammable nature. Making and moving green hydrogen atoms, instead, in a stable, non-flammable liquid chemical bonded form like formate can reduce green hydrogen distribution costs by 90%.